MGAS Bloodstock is a newly formed bloodstock company based in South Africa with the primary objective of buying and selling horses both locally and abroad through the different channels.
We will be focusing on staging numerous horses in training sales across the country annually. MGAS Bloodstock will be dealing with Ownership syndications, Stallion management, assisting owners in their day to day running of their Bloodstock as well as VAT recovery. MGAS Bloodstock is owned by Gabriel Soma and here is a brief overview of his time and involvement in horseracing.
1. Assistant trainer to Joe Soma for 10 years
Joe Soma is pound for pound, one of the greatest trainers in the country boasting unbelievable feature race results from a maximum of a 40 horses strong stable.
His knowledge and expertise in the sport of horseracing speaks for itself and along with his pure brilliance when picking yearlings, enables me to say I have been most fortunate to have been schooled by him.
As an assistant trainer one has to deal with all the aspects of the sport, including:
• Attending sales
• Picking yearlings
• Studying pedigrees
• Negotiating the buying and selling of certain horses locally and to Mauritius
• Dealing with owners, bloodstock agents and breeders on a daily basis.
We achieved great success winning group 1’s with:
• Happy Landing (Champions Challenge) purchased for 525k
• Wagner (Summer Cup) purchased for 200k
• Athina (Equus nom for Champion 3 year old filly) (Fillies classic)
• Lobos Legend (Equus nom for Champion 3 year old) (SA Classic) purchased for 400k
• Gotthegreenlight (Equus Champion 2 year old colt) (Premiers Challenge) purchased for 140k
Other notable winners and purchases (to mention but a few):
• Special Preview (SA Nursery, Bloodline Million, Smirnoff Futurity GR1) EQUUS CHAMPION 2 YEAR OLD COLT Purchased for 55k
• Wind Chill (SA Oaks) purchased for 400k
• Fortissima (won the Racing association two years running) purchased for 200k
• Graduation Day (Golden Loom) purchased for 800k
• Divine Force (Queens Plate Gr1) Purchased for 55k by Joe before moving to David Ferraris
2. Advisor and analyst to the following Jockeys during some part of their career.
• Anton Marcus – Worked closely together when winning the championship two years in a row and still have an ongoing relationship.
• Smanga Khumalo – worked closely together when winning the championship for a second time and advised him for three years.
• Gavin Lerena – worked with Gavin as an apprentice when we broke Muis Roberts record.
• Mj Odendaal – worked with Mj for about 1 year as SA champion jockey.
• Muzi Yeni – Advised Muzi for one year, the year we finished second in the national championship.
3. Currently National Programmer for Phumelela.
• Started the role in 2016 which incorporates completing the program for JHB and Cape Town.
• This role includes providing the entire horse population with the opportunity to participate as often as possible over their preferred distance.
• A complete understanding of the MR System is a necessity to fulfil this role.
• To achieve key performance in this role and to be able to respond to queries from trainers and owners, I monitor and access South African horses and their form on a daily basis.
4. New Sport sponsorship / bloodstock venture
• I have found that as racing folk we are extremely lucky that we have the opportunity to venture into so many different avenues in our wonderful game.
• I am most excited to start this new chapter in my career and I am positive that my upbringing and understanding of the game will allow for this to be a great success.
• Here’s to an unbelievable new experience.